Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The First Week - Traditions!

January 25th, 2013-Traditions

    This was a very big day! 
No it wasn't the first day I was a Disney cast member, because I worked at the Disney Store the year before. (March 4th is my 1 year with Disney!!!) But this was a day where my Disney Dream of working at the Parks was actually coming true! 

    We began the day at Disney University. Why haven't I always gone to school here?!? Amazing artwork everywhere, statues of Walt and characters in the hallways, and inspiring Disney quotes on all the walls. Magical :) Once we got there they split us up into different rooms, and gave us our official Disney ID's. This was the little piece of plastic that was going to get me into the parks for FREEEE!!! It was exciting :) 
    So I sat down at a table (close to a Little Mermaid mural of course, haha) and the class began. We went over Disney's four keys (Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency) which is basically the way Disney does things, and how as cast members create memorable experiences and an all around great time for our guests. 
    Next they asked us to think of times when we've been in the parks that we have seen examples of the four keys. Then of course out of the blue one of our teachers says "don't you think it would be cool if we could take them to Magic Kingdom, and find examples right now?" "yeah let's do that!". Um, pretty sure I died of excitement. 
    Since we were right behind MK already we just took a short bus ride to the backstage area. Being the crazy Disney fan I am, I was probably geeking out just as much for being able to go into the Utilidors (the tunnels under the park) as I was to go into the actual park. Not going to lie though, they were a little less magical than I was expecting.. kinda killed the magic for me, but once I got into the actual park everything was good again. :) We came out of back stage, on to Main Street. Amazing! I'll never get sick of being on main street and looking up at the castle.  I WORK HERE!!! 
   We walked up main street and into Tomorrowland looking for examples of the four keys (more like freaking out that I was in Magic Kingdom, haha!) Then after only about 20 minutes we headed back to the class room.
   We talked a little more about the four keys (they kinda like to drill those into our head any chance they get), then played a little Disney History game where we put Disney events in chronological order (killed it! haha). Right after this we hear a knock on the door, and the teachers tell us that we have a visitor. The door opens and in comes MICKEY MOUSE!!!  Again, totally freaked out, haha! The teachers said that Mickey wanted to see how well we know him, so they asked us questions all about Mickey. One they asked was what was Mickey's name originally supposed to be. I answered (Mortimer) and got a little figurine of goofy and a high five (well high four..) from Mickey! it was magical :) Mickey was also holding a little red present, and inside were our official WDW name tags!
 
My second Disney Nametag!!! 

    Disney never ceases to make magical memories, even for the castmembers. I really can't begin to say how grateful I am for this opportunity to be here and to help in making the magic for guests. This is definitely the adventure of a lifetime!



...Later that Evening

I can now get into the parks for free. I sure wasn't going to waste any time! Sammie Jo and I drove like the wind over to Magic Kingdom. There was only an hour till park close but I wanted more than anything to see New Fantasyland. Quickly we took in the magic, and booked it over to the back of the park. There was only one thing I really wanted to do that night; ride "Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid", so that's exactly what we did. :) 
Ariel and Eric's Castle 

Being the crazy Ariel fan I am you would have thought I would have met her before, but I never had!!! Until this night. Most exciting thing ever! I'm five. :) She complimented my red hair and welcomed me in her exclusive ginger club with Merida and Peter Pan. haha! She was so great!
It's decided, I'm gonna be a Mermaid when I grow up :)

GOODNIGHT WDW! I'll see ya very soon :)


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! How fun! I'm loving reading about all your adventures, and I'm glad that you did so well on all the quizzes. How COOL to just be able to go to disney world during your class. I'd love for you to explain a little bit about your program...like is this for college credit, and what is your typical schedule like...class, work, etc. Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your enjoying it! I think I have the first week covered, so now I'll be getting more in to actually working and more playing of course ;)

    ReplyDelete